A Guide to Make Cannabis Coconut Oil at Home
These days the use of oil is almost everywhere. However, the combination of Cannabis and coconut is currently making rounds all over the globe. Whether it be about topicals, edibles, or oils, a combination of Cannabis and coconut oil is a top DIY recipe which almost all people love.
While science is still trying to know more about CBD, there is always a stream of new evidence coming our way. Coconut oil is one of the most reliable and versatile ingredients and serves countless benefits. However, when combined with Cannabis, the efficiency grows twice more.
Despite being healthy and tasty, there is a diversified range of uses for this DIY cannabis coconut oil. This oil is simply a healthier version of cannabutter. Most people use this butter for baking delicious cakes and bread etc. The most propelling factor lies in its gluten-free specification.
If you are looking for a way to make cannabis coconut oil at home, you have come to the right place for it. Keep reading ahead to know about the impeccable advantages followed by a procedure to make cannabis coconut oil at home!
Why Prefer Cannabis Coconut Oil?
There are many evident reasons why people like to combine both components and rely heavily on the resulting oil. It is primarily because coconut oil is an excellent carrier for cannabinoids, which help in the regulation of health and the immune system. Moreover, coconut oil has a high concentration of fatty acids, which further assists in binding cannabis compounds.
Apart from holding and binding abilities, this cannabis coconut oil provides many benefits to your body. The presence of fatty acids in this oil plays a vital role in the health of the brain and body. Moreover, coconut oil fosters your heart health and helps with the maintenance of cholesterol levels as well.
Now that much has been said about the exceptional properties of this infused oil, it’s time to know how you can make this impeccable oil at your home. Read on to learn more about it!
How To Make Cannabis Coconut Oil At Home:
Before we jump onto explaining the DIY method to make this oil, it’s important to eradicate the misconception of receiving effects right away! It is because products containing oil usually take a longer time to produce effects. Most precisely, two-three hours for delivery therapeutic effects of Cannabis coconut oil. But once you get used to it, the effects can last for the longest of the time.
- Coconut oil
- A large bowl
- A fine strainer
- Latex gloves for safety and hygiene
This guide will require approximately one cup of coconut oil. However, if you want to alter the quantity as per your requirement, you can increase or decrease the portion of coconut oil accordingly. Along with the quantity, the type of coconut oil you would use depends on your personal preference. Mainly, three following types of coconut oil are used for this purpose:
Unrefined Coconut Oil:
As the name indicated, this type of coconut oil is produced without any application of heat. You might have heard about “Virgin oil.” It is equivalent to unrefined coconut oil. This type of coconut oil is very mild and can be eaten directly.
The production of cold pressured oil is almost similar to the unrefined type. However, this process involves the use of heat. The amount of heat used and the drying process will determine the quality of this type of oil.
What we majorly find in almost all supermarkets around us is this refined coconut oil. It is usually less expensive than the other two types, but it is still a good choice. Make sure to select solvent-free coconut oil. It’s important to check the packaging, as cigar packaging mentions all the details; similarly, it is important to look for product specifications. Otherwise, it won’t do a good job in the preparation of cannabis coconut oil.
- Start by undergoing decarboxylation on your weed.
- You can easily do this by using a grinder. You need to grind weed as fine as you easily can into a very fine powder form. Make sure to grind sufficient quantities but do not go overboard with it, such that it becomes challenging to strain the material.
- If you want to make bulk quantities, it is advisable to use a coffee blender or electric grinder for better grinding of substance.
- Set the cork port on low flame for heat. In case you don’t have a cork pot, take any simple boiling pan, fill it with water, and place it on low flame. Now, place another bowl on top of it and add coconut oil into it for melting purposes.
- If you see the coconut oil is completely melted, add 50 grams of the weed powder slowly. Start by adding little and mix it instead of adding all of it altogether.
- Now, add 1.5 liters of water and mix the mixture thoroughly. The purpose of adding water is to remove chlorophyll for better taste quality. Moreover, water doesn’t lead cannabinoids to be cooked away. Thus the oil serves a better function.
- If the mixture is thoroughly mixed, place the lid over the cork pot. Turn the flame to medium heat and let the mixture sit for almost one hour.
- Meanwhile, you must keep checking the mixture after every 30 minutes. This process will help cannabinoids bind with the oil for better efficiency
- Once the time duration of one hour elapses, bring down the flame to low temperature. Let the coconut and cannabis mixture infuse for another minimum of two and a maximum of 4 hours.
- It is so because the longer you let it sit, the more potent the oil would turn out to be. Keep checking and stirring the mixture after each hour.
- After certainty time has elapsed, turn off the flame and let the oil mixture set to cool down.
- The next step is to strain the mixture. Carefully place the strainer over a large bowl and strain the entire mixture into the bowl.
- Once done, cover the bowl and place the mixture into the refrigerator almost overnight. This step is important because it will separate the mix with oil solidifying on top.
- Now place another bowl beside you and put latex gloves on. Start by removing the solid oil on the top.
- That’s not the end yet! You are most likely to see some plant remains stick to the bottom of solid oil. To remove the remains, repeat the entire process. Reheat the oil, strain, and solidify the oil until you get no remains at the bottom of solid oil.
- Once you are done, it’s time to place your cannabis coconut oil into a separate container. But wait! A pro tip to make this oil last longer is to divide it into small portions. Take out a small part into a container and refrigerate the rest for more prolonged use.
Even though the process looks very smooth and effortless, in reality, it is not. There are certain features to keep in mind, such as dose, temperature, and specific techniques which demand proficiency. Thus make sure to keep these things in mind and enjoy the pros of having cannabis coconut oil at home.